Omnicom nearly back to 2008 profit heyday
Omnicom is getting closer to regaining the $1bn (£638m) annual net income level it hit before the global financial crisis, as profits climbed 15%, helped by double-digit revenue growth in the UK.
John Wren: president and chief executive of Omnicom
In 2008, Omnicom racked up net income* of almost exactly $1bn on revenues of $13.4bn (£8.5bn), but the ensuing downturn bit a fifth off its bottom line the following year.
Its revenues are now higher than in 2008, having risen 10.6% on 2010 to $13.9bn (£8.8bn), although the same cannot be said for net income, up 15.1% to $952.6m (£607m).
The owner of creative networks TBWA, DDB and BBDO, and media powerhouses OMD and PHD, put in a strong performance in the UK, despite the relative lack of growth in the country's ad market.
UK revenues for 2011 were up 12.5% year on year, and up 7.9% on an organic basis, to $1.2bn (£763m).
On both measures the UK outperformed the US and Euro currency markets, although it accounts for less than 9% of overall revenues.
The rest of the world, which Omnicom groups together, grew revenues by 30.7% and by 12.3% on an organic basis, to $3bn (£1.9bn).
Last week, Omnicom's French rival Publicis Groupe revealed it had made 2011 revenues of €5.8bn (£4.9bn), up 7.3% on 2010.
*Net income after subtracting net income attributed to non-controlling interests
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)