Murdoch promises Sun on Sunday 'very soon'
Rupert Murdoch has told Sun staff that the Sun on Sunday will be launched "very soon".
Murdoch has emailed staff (see the email below) in addition to visiting News International’s UK offices today to talk to staff in the wake of several arrests of Sun journalists on suspicion of corruption.
In the email the News Corporation chief executive stresses his backing for the paper and commits to lift any suspensions of arrested staff "until or whether charged", with News Corporation covering their legal expenses. He also promises to stay in London "for the next several weeks".
The arrests were made as part of Operation Elveden, one of three Metropolitan Police inquires looking into phone-hacking, bribery and computer hacking.
The police were acting on information passed to them by News Corporation's Management and Standards Committee, the body charged with examining internal evidence of wrongdoing by journalists.
Earlier this week we reported News International was seeking to reassure key advertisers and agencies that it is business as usual at The Sun despite the arrests of another five Sun journalists on 4 February.
Murdoch's email reads:
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)