Murdoch promises Sun on Sunday 'very soon'
Rupert Murdoch has told Sun staff that the Sun on Sunday will be launched "very soon".
Murdoch has emailed staff (see the email below) in addition to visiting News International’s UK offices today to talk to staff in the wake of several arrests of Sun journalists on suspicion of corruption.
In the email the News Corporation chief executive stresses his backing for the paper and commits to lift any suspensions of arrested staff "until or whether charged", with News Corporation covering their legal expenses. He also promises to stay in London "for the next several weeks".
The arrests were made as part of Operation Elveden, one of three Metropolitan Police inquires looking into phone-hacking, bribery and computer hacking.
The police were acting on information passed to them by News Corporation's Management and Standards Committee, the body charged with examining internal evidence of wrongdoing by journalists.
Earlier this week we reported News International was seeking to reassure key advertisers and agencies that it is business as usual at The Sun despite the arrests of another five Sun journalists on 4 February.
Murdoch's email reads:
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1