Murdoch promises Sun on Sunday 'very soon'
Rupert Murdoch has told Sun staff that the Sun on Sunday will be launched "very soon".
Murdoch has emailed staff (see the email below) in addition to visiting News International’s UK offices today to talk to staff in the wake of several arrests of Sun journalists on suspicion of corruption.
In the email the News Corporation chief executive stresses his backing for the paper and commits to lift any suspensions of arrested staff "until or whether charged", with News Corporation covering their legal expenses. He also promises to stay in London "for the next several weeks".
The arrests were made as part of Operation Elveden, one of three Metropolitan Police inquires looking into phone-hacking, bribery and computer hacking.
The police were acting on information passed to them by News Corporation's Management and Standards Committee, the body charged with examining internal evidence of wrongdoing by journalists.
Earlier this week we reported News International was seeking to reassure key advertisers and agencies that it is business as usual at The Sun despite the arrests of another five Sun journalists on 4 February.
Murdoch's email reads:
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London