Appointment to View: Behind the scenes of the remote-controlled café
Finland's capital city Helsinki is celebrating its status as the 'World Design Capital 2012', with a marketing campaign featuring an internet-controlled café. We take a look behind the scenes.
Finnish advertising agency Hasan & Partners and creative studio Perfect Fools created the internet-controlled interactive café to show why good design is so important. It purposely included bad design to show what a difference this would make to customers.
The name of the cafe – Kauko – is Finnish for "remote control".
It is part of a wider campaign including PR, TV, print, outdoor and banners, to draw attention to the concept and importance of design within everyday environments, led by executive creative director Eka Ruola.
People all over the world can make real-time changes to the café’s interior, and adjust chair or table heights, as well as control the lighting and music, via a website, youdesign.fi.
Since 9 January, Kauko has been located in Helsinki's biggest shopping centre, Forum.
The actual physical café was produced in Denmark by GP Udstillings Design, and the production of the project started in October 2011.
The café was first put together in Stockholm at the Perfect Fools studio at the start of December, where a number of tests were performed to check the interactive elements worked.
It was then shipped to Helsinki at the beginning of January for the 'World Design Capital 2012' opening and opened to the public – both offline and online – on 9 January.
The World Design Capital is a city-promotion project held every two years, which celebrates the merits of design. It promotes cities that are using design in an effective way to improve their social, cultural and economic life, throughout a year-long programme of design-related events.
Other recent brand campaigns created by Perfect Fools include Swarovski, Heineken and Converse.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...