The Sun on Sunday sets 50p intro price
The Sun on Sunday is set to debut with a promotional cover price of 50p on Sunday, hoping to lure in readers by being half the regular cover price of its red-top rivals.
The Sun: set to get Sunday stable mate
News International is expected to make a formal announcement on its pricing strategy on Thursday, but industry sources have been informed by the publisher that the first issue's cover price will be 50p.
The regular cover price will be £1, the same as the price point of The News of the World before its closure last year.
News International has been keeping the cover price of The Sun on Sunday under close guard, as it does not want to alert its rivals to its promotional and advertising support for the title ahead of this weekend's launch.
Sources expect the paper to run with the promotional 50p cover price for a number of weeks. In comparison, The Mail on Sunday is priced at £1.50, while The People, The Sunday Mirror, Daily Star Sunday are all priced at £1.
The People and The Sunday Mirror are expected to cut their cover prices this weekend but sources have told Media Week that the Mail on Sunday will not.
News International would not confirm its cover price plans for The Sun on Sunday.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £65000 - £70000 per annum, London
- Account Director The Great & The Good £45000 - £50000 per annum, West End
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)