Hit or miss? Tesco offers permanent job paying only Jobseeker's Allowance
Tesco came under fire over its participation in government unemployment schemes when it posted a job centre ad for a permanent role as a night shift worker, paying only Jobseeker's Allowance.
Job's not a good'un: Tesco under fire
The supermarket claimed the mistake was due to an 'IT error'. The following furore forced Tesco to briefly close a Westminster store because of protesters. On Tuesday Tesco offered to pay all work experience candidates referred through Jobcentre Plus.
How I see it
Stuart Leasor, Senior consultant, M:Communications
To quote Claudius in Hamlet: 'When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions.' It seems the sorrows are now coming for Tesco. Following hard on its poor January trading figures, the way it has handled the unpaid jobs scandal suggests that it is losing its previous aura of invincibility.
Its comment that the ad was due to an IT processing error verges on the 'captain fell into the lifeboat' defence from the Italian cruise disaster. In a case where Twitter has again shown its teeth, Tesco has been caught flat-footed.
Apart from the feeble IT excuse, it took almost a week to issue an 'old-tech' press release offering to pay young people on work experience, and still not making a case for the bigger issue of why Britain's retail behemoth needs to benefit from 180,000 hours of labour paid for by the taxpayer.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...