Currys owner enters movie-rental market
Dixons Retail, the electronics retail group that owns Currys, PC World and Dixons.co.uk, is launching a movie-rental service called Knowhow Movies, which has ambitious plans to take on LoveFilm, Netflix and BlinkBox.
Knowhow Movies: DSG Retail-backed service announces imminent launch
The move marks the retail group's first foray into the movie-on-demand market that has swelled recently with the arrival of US giant Netflix, which competes against Amazon-owned LoveFilm and BlinkBox.
Dixons Retail has launched a holding web page detailing the launch of the service, which claims to offer a "huge range of movies and TV shows", adding that the service will roll out "soon".
It is set to launch across mobile devices, as well as TV, enabling users to watch films "on-the-go".
Knowhow Movies is likely to be more akin to pay-per-view services offered by HMV, YouTube and BlinkBox, rather than LoveFilm and Netflix, which focus on their subscription video-on-demand services.
It is unclear whether DSG Retail will be using a partner for the launch. However , HMV, which launched a similar service last year, selected FilmFlex to deliver content to the service.
HMV's service is currently only available on PCs.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- PR Account Director Brand Recruitment £30000 per annum + plus bonuses + benefits, Norwich