Currys owner enters movie-rental market
Dixons Retail, the electronics retail group that owns Currys, PC World and Dixons.co.uk, is launching a movie-rental service called Knowhow Movies, which has ambitious plans to take on LoveFilm, Netflix and BlinkBox.
Knowhow Movies: DSG Retail-backed service announces imminent launch
The move marks the retail group's first foray into the movie-on-demand market that has swelled recently with the arrival of US giant Netflix, which competes against Amazon-owned LoveFilm and BlinkBox.
Dixons Retail has launched a holding web page detailing the launch of the service, which claims to offer a "huge range of movies and TV shows", adding that the service will roll out "soon".
It is set to launch across mobile devices, as well as TV, enabling users to watch films "on-the-go".
Knowhow Movies is likely to be more akin to pay-per-view services offered by HMV, YouTube and BlinkBox, rather than LoveFilm and Netflix, which focus on their subscription video-on-demand services.
It is unclear whether DSG Retail will be using a partner for the launch. However , HMV, which launched a similar service last year, selected FilmFlex to deliver content to the service.
HMV's service is currently only available on PCs.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)