Facebook rolls out mobile ads and premium formats
Facebook is introducing mobile ads for the first time, as well as premium-rich media formats, to drive up ad revenue ahead of its blockbuster IPO.
Facebook: unveils mobile ads and new formats
The new premium ad formats enable brands to include video and coupons in their ads and will appear in a user's timeline.
The changes mean that for the first time, Facebook's premium ads and Sponsored Stories will appear on the social network's log-out page and on its mobile app.
The mobile ads will appear in a user's timeline, in a similar way to Twitter's recently announced mobile ad changes.
They are available now for Android and iPhone in the US, and will roll out to other countries in coming months.
Carolyn Everson, vice-president of global marketing solutions at Facebook, announced the changes during the company’s inaugural Facebook Marketers Conference in the US last night.
Facebook hosted more than 1,000 individuals from the marketing industry at the event. As well as talks from the company's top brass, including chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg, it treated guests to an after party with a performance from Alicia Keys.
Prior to the event yesterday, a number of brands, including Burberry, Coca-Cola and Manchester United, rolled out new updates to their brand pages, which include a timeline.
The pages are free to set up and so the new ad formats, announced shortly afterwards, signal Facebook's intend to drive revenue from brands which use the site as a marketing tool.
The majority of Facebook’s revenue comes from advertising. When the company filed for an IPO last month, it revealed that its advertising accounted for 85% of its $3.7bn (£2.3bn) total revenues last year.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...