Zynga unveils plans for a gaming platform outside of Facebook
Zynga, the social games publisher that has grown thanks to its close relationship with Facebook, is aiming to move out of the shadow of the social networking giant by launching its own gaming destination.
Farmville: manufacturer Zynga plans to launch its own gaming destination
The 'Farmville' and 'Mafia Wars' maker is launching its own online destination, which will enable people to play its games outside Facebook.
The move is to broaden the appeal of its games, which are largely played on Facebook, with a view to keeping more of the revenue from the "virtual goods" it sells.
Currently, Facebook takes a 30% cut of all goods purchased, through its Credits payment system.
However, according to a report in The Times, Zynga will continue to use Facebook Credits for the time being.
The site will feature the company's most popular games, including 'Words With Friends' and 'Zynga Poker', but it will also be open to other games developers.
In December last year, Zynga floated, valuing the company at $7bn (£4.5bn) at the time.
Some Zynga games can also be played on Google+ and Yahoo.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...