Online music service Spotify in agency talks
Streaming music service Spotify is holding talks with consumer PR agencies, PRWeek can reveal.
Spotify: looking for consumer PR help
Spotify, which has more than two million paid subscribers, and 10 million on its free subscription list, currently works with Splendid Communications and Grayling – it is not known if these contracts are under threat.
Alison Bonny, head of PR at Spotify, declined to comment but did not deny Spotify was in talks with UK agencies.
It is thought Spotify is looking to build its consumer presence following the arrival of CJ Stanley from Everything Everywhere as its head of consumer PR in February.
Stanley was responsible for the phone operator’s BAFTA, Glastonbury, Orange Prize, Orange RockCorps and Orange UnsignedAct sponsorships. Before Everything Everywhere she worked for Yahoo Music.
Spotify is facing increasing obstacles to forging deals with artists to allow their content into its catalogue. The latest battle was with UK artist Adele who wanted her latest album 21 to be available to paying subscribers and blocked to free users.
Coldplay refused to release its latest album Mylo Xyloto to Spotify until months after its commercial release and recordings by Metallica, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin have not been licensed to appear on the site.
Spotify could also find it difficult to attract consumers if the music industry starts following the film business model by delaying the release of songs to streaming sites in a process called ‘windowing’, in order to stop subscriptions from taking sales away from labels and artists.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...