Metro to produce weekend editions during the Olympics
Associated Newspapers' morning freesheet Metro is to publish weekend editions for the first time, in print and for tablets, as a temporary offer during the Olympic Games in July and August.
Metro: to publish weekend editions during the Olympic and Paralympic games
Metro will produce the Saturday and Sunday editions across the five weeks of the Olympic and Paralympic games, with 325,000 copies available on Saturday and Sunday mornings in London.
Editions will carry extended Olympics coverage, news and features with strong London slants, in addition to the main news.
Tablet editions will be published twice daily, seven days a week, and will include coverage of the day's Olympic events, previews of the evening events and features on the "hot" athletes and notable sporting battles.
Linda Grant, managing director of Metro, said the digital developments were intended to increase consumption via mobile.
She said: "We are continuing to develop our mobile and digital products to extend the appeal of Metro beyond the traditional commute.
"We know that the urbanite audience are highly engaged with mobile technology and these innovations allow them to interact with us more frequently throughout the day, and help them get the most out of their Olympic experience."
Several publications produced special or commemorative editions for the Royal Wedding last year. Notably, the London Evening Standard produced its first bank holiday edition in 30 years.
Associated Newspapers has been paying Transport for London in the region of £3m to distribute the Metro at Tube and bus stations.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...