Metro to produce weekend editions during the Olympics
Associated Newspapers' morning freesheet Metro is to publish weekend editions for the first time, in print and for tablets, as a temporary offer during the Olympic Games in July and August.
Metro: to publish weekend editions during the Olympic and Paralympic games
Metro will produce the Saturday and Sunday editions across the five weeks of the Olympic and Paralympic games, with 325,000 copies available on Saturday and Sunday mornings in London.
Editions will carry extended Olympics coverage, news and features with strong London slants, in addition to the main news.
Tablet editions will be published twice daily, seven days a week, and will include coverage of the day's Olympic events, previews of the evening events and features on the "hot" athletes and notable sporting battles.
Linda Grant, managing director of Metro, said the digital developments were intended to increase consumption via mobile.
She said: "We are continuing to develop our mobile and digital products to extend the appeal of Metro beyond the traditional commute.
"We know that the urbanite audience are highly engaged with mobile technology and these innovations allow them to interact with us more frequently throughout the day, and help them get the most out of their Olympic experience."
Several publications produced special or commemorative editions for the Royal Wedding last year. Notably, the London Evening Standard produced its first bank holiday edition in 30 years.
Associated Newspapers has been paying Transport for London in the region of £3m to distribute the Metro at Tube and bus stations.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...