NEWSPAPER ABCs: Auditor confirms impact of News International's first Sunday Sun
The impact News International's first edition of The Sun had on the Sunday newspaper market has been officially confirmed for the first time today, in ABC figures for February.
The Sun on Sunday: strong start for the new edition
The Sunday Sun sold 3,213,613 copies on its debut, with a cover price of 50p. Its impact on its tabloid rivals, which also ran with a 50p cover price, was immediate.
The Sunday Mirror was down 9.06% month on month to 1,594,293, The People dropped 9.02% to 701,246, and the Daily Star Sunday, fell 7.09% to 599,078.
Elsewhere, The Mail on Sunday was down 2.01% month on month to 1,882,469 and the Sunday Express was down 6.60% to 567,800.
Today’s figure for The Sun is in line with Rupert Murdoch's own estimation of 3.26 million announced in a tweet just one day after the launch issue.
Follow Arif Durrani on Twitter @DurraniMix
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Marketing Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £34000 per annum, Thames Ditton
- Account Consultant / Research Director PSD Group £75,000 + bonus , London
- Account Executive - Mobile / Digital Digital Gurus £18000 - £20000 per annum + bonus, benefits, London
- SMS (Marketing) Manager Digital Gurus £35000 - £45000 per annum + package, South West London