News International claims 526,556 total sales for The Times
News International has updated its digital sales figures for The Times and Sunday Times brands today, following average sales for The Times newspaper falling below 400,000 copies for the first time since 1993.
News International claims 526,556 sales for The Times and Times.co.uk
On Friday (9 March) ABC reported average sales of 397,549 for The Times in February, its lowest on record since Rupert Murdoch began an aggressive price war in 1993.
News International has now released new figures for The Times' digital subscribers for the same month, of 129,007, resulting in an unverified total paid audience of 526,556 for The Times.
The publisher, which famously erected paywalls around The Times and Sunday Times websites in the summer of 2010, said the combined total represents a year-on-year increase of nearly 1,594 sales between February 2012 and February 2011.
There is no such growth story for the The Sunday Times, however, which reports 124,136 digital subscribers resulting in a total paid audience of 1,063,531, down slightly from 1,120,628 the year before.
A News International spokesperson added: "The number of digital subscribers to The Times and The Sunday Times has continued to grow month-on-month, with subscriptions to The Times rising by nearly 10,000 in February compared to January. The Sunday Times saw a rise of over 10,000.
"Meanwhile, the number of readers on the iPad continues to increase. In February, an average of 55,823 copies of The Times were downloaded daily on the iPad, a 26% increase since September 2011."
The average number of The Sunday Times iPad edition downloaded in February was 72,223. This is a 104% increase since Sept 2011.
The Times and The Sunday Times are available for download on all platforms and devices including Android, Amazon Kindle and iOS5.
Unverified News International digital figures combined with official ABC figures.
|Total Paid for Sale - The Sunday Times|
|ABC Print Circulation||Total digital subs||Total Paid for Sale|
Follow Arif Durrani on Twitter: @DurraniMix
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Graphic Designer CitNOW £25,000-£35 000pa, Wokingham, Berkshire
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...