Desmond halves price of OK! to 99p
Richard Desmond's Northern & Shell is halving the cover price of its flagship celebrity magazine OK! to 99p, as it continues its strategy of price cuts across selected titles.
OK!: Desmond slashes cover price
The move by Desmond means that OK! will sell for half the price of Hello magazine, priced at £2.
The 99p priced OK! is now on sale in newsagents. Hello is thought to have no plans to cut its own cover price.
A spokesperson for the National Federation of Retail Newsagents (NFRN), the trade body for independent newsagents, said she believed the slashing of the OK! cover price is likely to be long-term.
OK! suffered a double-digit year-on-year fall in the latest round of circulations figures.
In the final six months of 2011, OK! registered an average weekly circulation of 388,472, down 13.9% on the year, and down 17.9% on the period.
By comparison, Hello! reported an average weekly circulation of 373,266, down 8% on the year, and down 9.7% on the period.
The price-slashing of OK! mirrors a similar move by Desmond's Sunday tabloid newspaper, which has halved its cover price from £1 to 50p.
Desmond slashed the price of the Daily Star Sunday to match the arrival of Rupert Murdoch's 50p Daily Star Sunday.
Northern & Shell said: "With some great exclusive wedding issues coming up and the commemorative issues for the Royal anniversaries in April and June we are looking at an outstanding year."
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...