Olympic Torch Relay route revealed
The Olympic Torch Relay route around UK has been laid out and the names of the majority of the 8,000 people who will carry the flame have been disclosed by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Locog).
Olympic Torch Relay: Locog unveils the route
The Olympic torch route arrives in the UK on 18 May and begins its 70-day journey the next day.
The torch will visit landmarks including the Giant's Causeway and Stonehenge as part of its route across every region in the UK.
Locog said the Olympic torch will come within 10 miles of 95% of people in the UK, Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey and will pass through 1,018 places.
Coca-Cola, Lloyds TSB and Samsung are the sponsors of the torch relay, which ran programmes to find its torchbearers.
The torch will be carried by 7,300 nominated torchbearers along with 700 athletes and celebrities. Each torchbearer will carry the flame for about 300m.
Sebastian Coe, chairman of Locog, said: "Today we bring the Olympic Torch Relay to life, with thousands of inspirational people from all over the UK being confirmed as Torchbearers.
"We hope local communities come out and line the streets to cheer on the Torchbearers, and celebrate the Olympic Games coming to the UK."
Jeremy Hunt, secretary of state for culture, Olympics, media and sport, said: "This is a big day in the Olympics preparations.
"The Torch Relay will now come to life for millions of people. The excitement will be increasingly infectious as people all over the UK now start to plan where they're going to go to see the Olympic Flame and cheers on local Torchbearers."
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...