Asda appoints chief marketer to replace Bendel
Walmart-owned Asda has appointed Stephen Smith as its chief marketing officer, replacing incumbent Rick Bendel, who will move to a global marketing role at Walmart.
Asda: appoints Stephen Smith as chief marketing officer
Smith joined Walmart in July 2011 as chief marketing officer in China. He will take up his new role in May.
Smith has 10 years of marketing and merchandising experience in the grocery business, working with Delhaize Group in North America and Belgium.
He has also held marketing and advertising roles at AT&T, sports media agency Resort Sports Network and J Walter Thompson.
Walmart said Bendel would take on a "broader project-based role for Walmart" after being influential in building its global marketing efforts as well as heading up the Asda marketing department.
Andy Clarke, Asda president and chief executive, said: "Because this is a time of strength for Asda, it now seems the perfect time for Rick to do more to help shape Walmart's worldwide marketing efforts and embark on the next exciting phase of his career."
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Senior PR Officer AF Selection £26,000 - £30,000, Cheshire
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...