Asda appoints chief marketer to replace Bendel
Walmart-owned Asda has appointed Stephen Smith as its chief marketing officer, replacing incumbent Rick Bendel, who will move to a global marketing role at Walmart.
Asda: appoints Stephen Smith as chief marketing officer
Smith joined Walmart in July 2011 as chief marketing officer in China. He will take up his new role in May.
Smith has 10 years of marketing and merchandising experience in the grocery business, working with Delhaize Group in North America and Belgium.
He has also held marketing and advertising roles at AT&T, sports media agency Resort Sports Network and J Walter Thompson.
Walmart said Bendel would take on a "broader project-based role for Walmart" after being influential in building its global marketing efforts as well as heading up the Asda marketing department.
Andy Clarke, Asda president and chief executive, said: "Because this is a time of strength for Asda, it now seems the perfect time for Rick to do more to help shape Walmart's worldwide marketing efforts and embark on the next exciting phase of his career."
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Strategic Planner - to £50k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London