Sanex ad banned for natural ingredient implication
Colgate-Palmolive has been rapped by the ad watchdog over a campaign for its Sanex Zero% bathing range that misleadingly implied its products were free of man-made chemicals.
The television campaign, which ran in October, featured naked people applying coloured substances to their bodies. It is not clear whether it was created in-house or by an agency.
The ad began with a voiceover that stated, "we put so many different chemical ingredients onto our skin", before cutting to a woman using the advertised product, which, "contains just the ingredients you need for clean, healthy skin".
In addition to a complaint that the campaign implied the product contained no-man made chemicals, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) also received a complaint that the range contained ingredients not necessary for clean and healthy skin.
Colgate-Palmolive defended itself by pointing out the ad made no reference to natural ingredients.
Industry body Clearcast said the ad was not misleading, even though the product contains fragrance, as consumers believe the ingredient plays an important part in creating the feeling of clean skin.
The ASA threw out Colgate-Palmolive's objections because it believed the context of the ad would lead the viewer to come to the conclusion the product contained no man-made chemical ingredients and was made from only natural ingredients.
The ad watchdog also ruled that the use of fragrance only affected enjoyment of the product and was not an essential requirement and for these reasons has banned the advert in its current form.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Agency Candidates Required Michael Page Digital GBP25000 - GBP50000 per annum, Guildford
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...