Barclays hires Diageo comms head Stephen Doherty
Barclays has appointed Diageo's comms chief Stephen Doherty to lead corporate comms across the bank's global business.
Stephen Doherty: joins Barclays
Barclays has appointed Diageo’s comms chief Stephen Doherty to lead corporate comms across the bank’s global business.
The bank confirmed that Doherty will take up a newly created role of MD, head of corporate comms, on 2 July.
One source said that the appointment was a reflection of the bank’s desire to ‘get a grip on the narrative’ and provide a more robust voice in the high-profile regulatory and media debates around the global financial services industry.
Doherty is currently director of comms at Diageo, having joined the UK drinks giant in 2007.
Prior to Diageo, he spent four years at Cohn & Wolf, rising to the position of MD, corporate affairs and chief operating officer for London. He has also had stints at Weber Shandwick and Edelman.
Doherty will report to Matt Hammerstein, MD, public policy; corporate comms; strategy and planning; and brand and marketing.
He will work alongside the bank's vice chairman, corporate affairs Howell James. Director of media relations Giles Croot, who joined from Brunswick in late 2010, will report to Doherty.
Doherty led Diageo’s day-today comms function, but the company’s most senior communicator remained corporate relations director Ian Wright, who sits on the Diageo board.
Diageo has not confirmed whether it will seek a direct replacement for Doherty.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Account Executive/Junior Account Executive fishtank £17000 - £22000 per annum, Surrey
- PR Account Director, B2B, German Speaking, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Business Development Director Tomorrow Recruitment £60k - £65k, East London
- Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £38000 - £48000 per annum + Superb Central London Benefits, City of London