ISBA Conference: Work together to get the most out of digital, says Google
Advertisers, agencies and media owners need to work together to achieve the right message, according to Dan Cobley, vice-president and managing director of Google UK and Ireland.
Dan Cobley: vice-president and managing director of Google UK and Ireland
Speaking at ISBA's conference today (21 March), Cobley called on the audience to make sure they were getting the most out of digital, by investing in the right "resource and people", which "requires new thinking".
Directly addressing brand advertisers in the room, Cobley said they had to ask if their agencies "are doing enough" and their tools, analytics and planning were "keeping up".
He said: "Are you paying them [agencies] fairly for that? And are you rewarding them for the value they are creating and not just paying them as cheaply as possible?"
Cobley used his speech to give a concise history of advertising, based on the principle of getting "the right message in front of the right person at the right time".
He said that Google's Adwords was "the first big step change" in this history, because "it gets advertising in front of the right people at the right time."
He demonstrated a series of Google ad products and, in particular, focused on how NFC technology can be used in traditional media such as outdoor and print, to make them digital.
He also talked about how the lines were blurring with TV and online advertising, as more and more TVs were connected.
He said: "There is no way a connected TV shouldn't be seen as a 46-inch iPad
"Digital is not online, digital is a part of online, and not an alternative to traditional media."
He stressed that advertising was more relevant when digital and traditional media worked together.
He said: "You guys need to know how to use these tools."
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...