Facebook confirms purchase of technology patents from IBM
Facebook has purchased a package of patents from IBM, in a bid to bolster its defences in the technology patent wars.
Facebook: invests in IBM patents
A Facebook spokeswoman confirmed the purchase of the patent package, but would not disclose further details, or the details of the sum.
Several reports claim Facebook bought 750 patents, covering various technologies such as software and networking, which will significantly boost its portfolio, which currently stands at 56 issued patents.
Technology companies are increasingly looking to bolster their portfolios of patents, as they look to bolster their intellectual property portfolios and stave off potential litigation from rivals.
The move by Facebook apes that of Google, which in a similar move purchased Motorola Mobility to boost is portfolio of patents
The move comes just weeks after Yahoo moved to sue Facebook over the alleged infringement of 10 of its patents.
A Facebook spokeswoman said at the time: "We're disappointed that Yahoo, a long-time business partner of Facebook and a company that has substantially benefited from its association with Facebook, has decided to resort to litigation."
Separately Facebook, along with other app makers, including Twitter, Apple, Path, Istagram, LinkedIn and Electronic Arts have a lawsuit filed against them in a US district court, by 13 plaintives, who accuses them of automatically uploading user address books without permission.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...