Brand barometer: Kony 2012 viral film reviewed
Unruly reviews Invisible Children's 30-minute 'Kony 2012' viral, with "ones to watch" from Samsung, Barter Books and Heineken
Kony 2012 racked up 60m view and 5m shares in first three days
Shocking and moving content ...epic scale ... controversy has prolonged debate
10 / 10
This campaign video from small campaigning organisation Invisible Children, which aims to bring Ugandan warlord Joseph Kony to justice for crimes against humanity, has set new records in video sharing. But how did a 30-minute documentary about an African war criminal become such a phenomenon, racking up a staggering 50m views and 6m shares in its first three days alone?
The content is both shocking and moving. The difference with Kony 2012, though, is that this is on an epic scale – a strategic move to stage a global social coup, with a little help from key influencers such as Oprah Winfrey, Justin Bieber, Bono and Angelina Jolie, who tweeted the link to their vast networks.
However, the organisation itself has also attracted criticism for its donors and spending tactics, which has helped prolong the debate. Nevertheless, the film has certainly achieved the group’s stated aim of making Kony ‘famous’.
Ones to watch: Viral hits from this week
Samsung: Angry Birds Space
Samsung and Rovio Mobile have teamed up for the launch of Angry Birds Space. While the game, unveiled at SXSW, will be available on other devices, the Galaxy Note will have exclusive content.
Barter Books: The Story of Keep Calm
The story behind the ’Keep calm and carry on’ wartime posters and their rediscovery in a North-East bookshop, which propelled the slogan to fame decades after it was originally issued.
Heineken: UEFA Trophy Tour 2012
UEFA sponsor Heineken placed the Champions League trophy in unsuspecting travelling football fans’ hotel rooms and filmed their reactions. The viral has been made to mark the cup’s first global tour.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...