BSkyB's The Cloud to provide Wi-Fi for London Overground
The Cloud, the BSkyB-owned Wi-Fi provider, is to provide free Wi-Fi at 12 London Overground train stations including Willesden Junction in time for the London 2012 Olympics.
London Overgound: Wi-Fi to be introduced at 12 stations in time for the Olympics
Travellers will be able to get up to 60 minutes free access per day when they register to use the service.
A London Overground spokesman said Wi-Fi would be available at 12 key stations in time for the London 2012 Olympics this summer.
He said these would be high-traffic stations, such as Willesden Junction and stations near the Olympic park in East London, including Hackney Central, Hackney Wick and Dalston Junction.
It will roll out to all 56 London Overground-managed stations by the end of the year.
The news comes shortly after Virgin Media announced it had been selected by transport for London to power Wi-Fi and mobile internet services for the London Underground, in time for the Olympics.
The service will be free to passengers for a limited period over the summer, before being available to Virgin Media broadband and mobile customers, or on a pay-as-you-go-basis.
BSkyB acquired The Cloud in January 2011. It delivers free public Wi-Fi through partners including Café Nero and Pizza Express and also provides Sky broadband customers with access to 10,000 Wi-Fi hotspots across the UK.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter: @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...