Disney launches 2-for-1 ticket deal to rescue John Carter
Disney has launched a two-for-one ticket promotion for 'John Carter' after the film made such a poor box office debut that it is expected to lose $200m (£128m) in the current financial quarter.
John Carter: Disney ticket deal is aimed at rescuing poorly performing feature film
Disney has emailed out a two-for-one voucher, which is valid at Odeon, Vue, Cineworld, Showcase, Apollo or Empire. It is understood the voucher has gone to Disney's entire UK database of around 800,000 subscribers.
The Disney/Pixar film, which cost a reported $250m (£160m) to make and an additional $100m (£60m) to market, proved a resounding flop at the US box office after its release on 9 March.
It is a fantasy adventure based on the series of books written by Edgar Rice Burroughs, about an American Civil War soldier who is transported to Mars.
In its first two weeks it grossed just over $56m (£36m) in the US.
In a statement last week, Disney said: "In light of the theatrical performance of John Carter ($184 million global box office), we expect the film to generate an operating loss of approximately $200 million during our second fiscal quarter ending March 31."
In the UK, it narrowly topped the box office on its first weekend (Friday 9 March to Sunday 11 March), grossing nearly £2m, and came fourth on its second weekend with nearly £1m, according to figures from cinema ad sales house DCM.
Disney will be hoping for more success with its other big-budget movies due for release later this year, including 'The Avengers' in May, and 'Brave', set to be released by Disney Pixar in June.
Follow Nick Batten on @NickBatten2
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Affiliate Marketing Executive Brand Recruitment £26000 per annum, Letchworth Garden City
- Data Planner Direct Recruitment £50k+bens, London
- Category Manager- Oral Care Stopgap £52000 per annum, London