Brands line up for 1960s ad break in 'Mad Men'
Ads from the 1960s for brands such as American Airlines and the Milk Marketing Forum have been dug up for the launch of the fifth series of 'Mad Men' on Sky Atlantic this evening.
An American Airlines ad called "firsts", which plays on the airline's innovation, and an ad promoting milk that stars the "pinta man" gymnast, will be among the classic ads broadcast during the two episodes of 'Mad Men', which start at 9pm.
The American Airways ad, bought by Universal McCann Manchester, highlights that the airline was the first to market with a number of innovations, including a stewardess college, accepting credit and a computerised check in.
Steve Davis, marketing director, EMEA, American Airlines, said: "This initiative provides an opportunity to showcase our historical advertising, which is then a great segue into the present day with our Kevin Spacey/Individual campaign currently on air."
The Milk Marketing Forum ad features "pinta man" bouncing on a trampoline, while the voiceover says he is "superbly fit, helped by the milk he drinks – a pinta day at least".
Sandy Wilkie, chairman of the Milk Marketing Forum, said: "Whether it's 'drinka pinta milka day', 'Accrington Stanley', or the current 'make mine milk' moustache campaign, families have been inspired to make milk part of their diet for decades by some of the most iconic generic advertising in history.
"The warmth the public show to these adverts highlights how important it is that the milk industry continues to get behind campaigns that keep the white stuff in the hearts and minds of the Great British public."
Campaign revealed earlier this month that BSkyB's ad sales house Sky Media was planning to celebrate the new series of the 1960s Madison Avenue-based drama by broadcasting 1960s ads during the ad breaks of the show.
Other "vintage" ads believed to be in the breaks include the Fairy liquid spot featuring Nanette Newman and Leslie Ash, as well as ads for Cadbury's Milk Tray, Tetley, Citroën and Kit Kat.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Digital Account Director - Creative Agency - London Sphere Digital 50-70k +bonus +benefits, London, South East
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...