Expedia adds its weight to EU Google anti-trust probe
Expedia, the online travel agency, has become the latest company to file a complaint to the European Union about Google, accusing it of breaking competition laws.
Expedia: lodges complaint against Google with the EU
There are already about 12 other similar claims against Google in the EU, over complaints that the search giant gives unfair preference to its own services in its search results.
Expedia filed a complaint with the European Commission that details specific business and search practices by Google that it claims constitute a violation of European Union competition and consumer protection laws.
The company said in a statement: "The complaint offers evidence of how Google's conduct harms not only competition, but consumers.
"Expedia believes that strong action is needed by the European Commission to restore a fair and competitive marketplace in online search that respects consumers' rights."
A Google spokeman said: "We haven't seen the complaint yet, but we've been working to explain how our business works, cooperating with the European Commission since this investigation began.
"Because there's always room for improvement, we're happy to discuss any concerns the Commission might have."
It is expected that the European Commission will make a decision whether to drop or proceed with the investigation into Google after Easter.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...