Expedia adds its weight to EU Google anti-trust probe
Expedia, the online travel agency, has become the latest company to file a complaint to the European Union about Google, accusing it of breaking competition laws.
Expedia: lodges complaint against Google with the EU
There are already about 12 other similar claims against Google in the EU, over complaints that the search giant gives unfair preference to its own services in its search results.
Expedia filed a complaint with the European Commission that details specific business and search practices by Google that it claims constitute a violation of European Union competition and consumer protection laws.
The company said in a statement: "The complaint offers evidence of how Google's conduct harms not only competition, but consumers.
"Expedia believes that strong action is needed by the European Commission to restore a fair and competitive marketplace in online search that respects consumers' rights."
A Google spokeman said: "We haven't seen the complaint yet, but we've been working to explain how our business works, cooperating with the European Commission since this investigation began.
"Because there's always room for improvement, we're happy to discuss any concerns the Commission might have."
It is expected that the European Commission will make a decision whether to drop or proceed with the investigation into Google after Easter.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...