Morrisons eyes Sainsbury's 30-year 'Good food' strapline
Morrisons is understood to be considering launching a new ad slogan, which borrows from rival Sainsbury's former 'Good food costs less' strapline.
Morrisons: registered 'Making good food cost less’ trademark
The Bradford-based supermarket, the only one of the ‘big four’ without a consistent slogan, has registered two variations of the trademark ‘Morrisons. Making good food cost less’ and a second referring to ‘great food’.
Although a Morrisons spokeswoman said there were ‘currently no plans’ to use the line, a source close to the retailer said several slogans were under consideration, with ‘Making good food cost less’ among the options. ‘I believe the discussions are ongoing, but I’m interested that they’ve only trademarked this option,' he added.
Up until five years ago, Britain’s fourth biggest supermarket had used ‘More reasons to shop at Morrisons’. However, since then it has used variations playing on the word ‘fresh’, with 'Eat Fresh, Pay Less' and 'Great British Pricecrunch' currently in use.
A Sainsbury’s insider told Marketing: ‘Some say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Others might think it shows a lack of originality. We couldn’t possibly say.’
The Sainsbury’s slogan, first used in 1959, ran until 1991. Asda used the line ‘Good food costs less at Asda’ in a Christmas campaign in 2009.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- New Business Developer Periscope Recruitment LLP £60000.00 per annum, London
- Account Manager London up to £30,000 Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Director Guru Careers £40 - 60k DOE, Based in South West London (SW18) - Commutable from Putney, Central London, The City, Greater London
- Account Manager or Senior Account Manager Source £27000 - £35000 per annum, London