Tesco closes second-hand car business
Tesco's chief executive Philip Clarke has closed its second-hand online car business after a year of trading to concentrate on the retailer's core business.
Tesco Cars: second-hand site shuts down
Tesco launched the joint venture with Carsite to great fanfare a year ago and held a 25% stake.
The website offered thousands of used cars for sale. It is thought that Tesco was unhappy with the supply of second hand cars.
Another part of the Tesco empire, Tesco Home Services, which offered handyman services, has also closed.
Tesco's website said: "We started Tesco Cars in good faith and we always aim to do a good job for customers.
"However, following a review of the business model we and Carsite, our partner, have decided that we cannot offer customers a satisfactory range of vehicles and as a result, have decided it is right to close the business.
The closure comes at a difficult time for Tesco, which issued its first profit warning in January.
The business has also recently parted with UK boss Richard Brasher.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Copywriter fishtank 25k to 40k per year GBP, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Head of Marketing fishtank 45k to 60k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Senior Account Executive fishtank Up to 24,000, United Kingdom
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...