Voluntary sector: Footballers kick-start blood cancer cause
As part of its Give Blood Cancer the Red Card campaign, Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research wanted to spread local awareness of its lifesaving work at a football match between Nottingham Forest and Coventry City. This was particularly relevant because Nottingham City Hospital is part of a UK clinical trials network aimed at speeding up the delivery of new treatments.
Support: footballers get behind the campaign
Campaign: Give Blood Cancer the Red Card
Client: Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research
PR team: In-house
Timescale: January-February 2012
- To raise awareness of blood cancer, the charity and its events, and the hospital's involvement in the new network.
STRATEGY AND PLAN
Ex-footballer and leukaemia survivor Geoff Thomas had a pre-event photo-shoot with Coventry player Carl Baker, whose elder brother died of leukaemia. On match day, Thomas led the teams, who warmed up in charity-branded T-shirts, on to the pitch with two local children who were being treated for leukaemia. A Twitter and Facebook campaign ran in the week leading up to the event.
MEASUREMENT AND EVALUATION
The campaign generated national TV coverage on the BBC's The Football League Show and Late Kick Off. Thomas was interviewed on TalkSport radio.
There were 120 clickthroughs from Twitter to the campaign web page, 118 shares on Facebook and £1,000 was raised.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Programme Evaluation Analyst Direct Recruitment £38,000 - £40,000 + bens, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...