AOL sells 800 patents to Microsoft in $1bn deal
AOL has agreed to sell more than 800 technology patents to Microsoft as part of a $1.06bn (£670m) cash deal following an auction process.
AOL: sells off 800 patents to Microsoft
AOL did not reveal specific information about the scope of the patents, but according to Reuters they include technology rights from AOL's current and former businesses, ranging from Netscape, ICQ and MapQuest to CompuServe, Advertising.com and others.
AOL said it would continue to hold a portfolio of more than 300 patents and patent applications spanning advertising, search, content generation/management, social networking, mapping, multimedia/streaming and security.
The deal includes a non-exclusive licence for Microsoft to these retained patents.
AOL intends to return "a significant portion" of the proceeds to its shareholders.
Last month Facebook bought a series of patents from IBM in the wake of a lawsuit being filed against it by Yahoo.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Manager fishtank 24k to 33k per year GBP, Surrey
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Junior Account Manager fishtank 22k to 28k per year GBP, Buckinghamshire
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...