MAA calls clients 'unfair and greedy' over payment terms
Clients are "unfair and greedy" in their approach to paying agencies, according to the Marketing Agencies Association.
Millner: calling on MAA members to charge for late payment
The MAA attacked clients for moving payment terms to their agencies from a standard 30 days to up to 120 or 150 days after project completion.
The association said that this, combined with an escalation of project-based work, places increased pressures on agencies.
It called on its members to charge clients for late payment and hopes this will encourage clients to revert to paying agencies in 30 days.
The MAA's move follows research issued in January that showed that the average fee for its member agencies declined by 18.4 per cent in the decade to 2011.
MAA figures show that 72 per cent of its member agency income is from project-based work, a slight increase year on year as clients look for tighter financial controls and fewer retained agency relationships.
The trade body is chaired by the Iris founder Ian Millner and represents 80 digital, direct and integrated agencies.
Scott Knox, the managing director of the MAA, said: "We are hearing from agencies dismayed at payment terms, which have crept up from 30 days to 90, then to 110, 120 or even 150. This is nothing short of unfair and greedy."
The MAA said that clients "hide behind" policy and international directives to avoid prompt payment.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...