Vodafone to buy Cable & Wireless for £1bn
Vodafone has agreed to buy troubled telecoms company Cable & Wireless Worldwide (CWW) in a deal valued at £1.04bn.
Vitorrio Colao: chief executive of Vodafone group
Vodafone is carrying out the acquisition to strengthen its enterprise business in the UK and abroad by expanding its network and creating cost-saving opportunities.
CWW provides high-speed telecoms services to companies including Tesco and the police.
It marks an attractive proposition for Vodafone, as the telecoms company moves to grow its corporate business at a time of weak consumer growth.
CWW's fibre cable network is expected to relieve pressure on Vodafone's mobile network, while the latter's enterprise business will gain a boost because CWW already has contracts providing voice, data and hosting services to government departments and companies, including Tesco.
Cable & Wireless directors will unanimously recommend that shareholders vote in favour of the takeover.
Vitorrio Colao, chief executive of Vodafone group, said: "The acquisition of Cable & Wireless Worldwide creates a leading integrated player in the enterprise segment of the UK communications market and brings attractive cost savings to our UK and international operations."
Vodafone has beaten off a rival approach from Tata Communications, the India-based telecoms company.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Marketing Executive Brand Recruitment £27000 - £35000 per annum, Cambridge
- Account Director - Retail & Brand Design Agency Major Players £50000 - £55000 per annum + bens, London
- Account Manager Dynamic New Alliances £25000.00 - £30000.00 per annum, London
- Digital Account Executive (Part-Time) Brand Recruitment £15000 - £20000 per annum, Bedford
- Associate Marketing Capability Director - Kingston Upon Thames Stopgap negotiable, Kingston upon Thames