FA says Euro 2012 footballers won't play for Team GB
The Football Association (FA) has today (23 April) made it clear that no player selected for the Euro 2012 championship will be picked for Team GB in the Olympics.
Wayne Rooney: Manchester United striker rumoured to be on Olympic shortlist
The FA's stance defuses a possible row between Team GB and football club managers who would be uneasy about their star players appearing in the Euro 2012 tournament and the Olympics, ahead of the start of the new domestic football season.
Some newspaper reports had suggested that Wayne Rooney was on a shortlist for Olympic selection, following coach Stuart Pearce's whittling down of a long list to 80 players.
But now the FA has said that once the list is further shortened to a final number of 18, none of those who travel in the squad to Poland and Ukraine to play in Euro 2012, will be selected.
The Euro 2012 championship takes place between 8 June and 1 July, before the Olympics, which run place between 27 July and 12 August.
Currently, England has no permanent manager, although Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp is the favourite to be appointed and take the team to Poland and Ukraine.
England under-21 manager Pearce is currently overseeing the senior job on a caretaker basis.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...