FA says Euro 2012 footballers won't play for Team GB
The Football Association (FA) has today (23 April) made it clear that no player selected for the Euro 2012 championship will be picked for Team GB in the Olympics.
Wayne Rooney: Manchester United striker rumoured to be on Olympic shortlist
The FA's stance defuses a possible row between Team GB and football club managers who would be uneasy about their star players appearing in the Euro 2012 tournament and the Olympics, ahead of the start of the new domestic football season.
Some newspaper reports had suggested that Wayne Rooney was on a shortlist for Olympic selection, following coach Stuart Pearce's whittling down of a long list to 80 players.
But now the FA has said that once the list is further shortened to a final number of 18, none of those who travel in the squad to Poland and Ukraine to play in Euro 2012, will be selected.
The Euro 2012 championship takes place between 8 June and 1 July, before the Olympics, which run place between 27 July and 12 August.
Currently, England has no permanent manager, although Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp is the favourite to be appointed and take the team to Poland and Ukraine.
England under-21 manager Pearce is currently overseeing the senior job on a caretaker basis.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...