Denise Lewis criticises athletes over sponsor tweets
Olympic gold medallist Denise Lewis has condemned athletes' endorsement of sponsor brands on Twitter as "a dangerous game".
Denise Lewis: Twitter is a "distraction"
However Lewis, speaking exclusively to Marketing, conceded the participation of brands in the London 2012 Olympics is "vital to the running of the Games" financially.
"This is hopefully one of the biggest Games from a Team GB perspective and it’s expensive. So brands need to be on board, and good brands are on board," said Lewis, who won gold at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
"I think [tweeting endorsements] is a dangerous game... I'm not on Twitter and it's not something my coach would have allowed. For me [it was about] less distraction," she added.
Lewis's comments follow criticism of athletes such as swimmer Rebecca Adlington for tweeting endorsements.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Manager fishtank 24k to 33k per year GBP, Surrey
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Junior Account Manager fishtank 22k to 28k per year GBP, Buckinghamshire
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...