Denise Lewis criticises athletes over sponsor tweets
Olympic gold medallist Denise Lewis has condemned athletes' endorsement of sponsor brands on Twitter as "a dangerous game".
Denise Lewis: Twitter is a "distraction"
However Lewis, speaking exclusively to Marketing, conceded the participation of brands in the London 2012 Olympics is "vital to the running of the Games" financially.
"This is hopefully one of the biggest Games from a Team GB perspective and it’s expensive. So brands need to be on board, and good brands are on board," said Lewis, who won gold at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
"I think [tweeting endorsements] is a dangerous game... I'm not on Twitter and it's not something my coach would have allowed. For me [it was about] less distraction," she added.
Lewis's comments follow criticism of athletes such as swimmer Rebecca Adlington for tweeting endorsements.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Copywriter fishtank 25k to 40k per year GBP, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Head of Marketing fishtank 45k to 60k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...