YouView hires top marketer ahead of expected autumn launch
YouView, the delayed IPTV service, has hired Kelkoo marketing chief Steve Conway as interim head of marketing in preparation for the service's expected launch in the autumn.
YouView: expected to launch in the autumn
Last October YouView made its entire marketing and communications redundant. It has now hired Conway who will report to Richard Halton, chief executive.
Conway was previously brand marketing director at price comparison company Kelkoo.
YouView's initial launch was scheduled for the summer of 2011 but has been delayed by technical difficulties. It is understood it will now launch in autumn.
Stakeholders include BBC, TalkTalk, BT, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Arqiva, while Sky has begun to express an interest in YouView after initially disassociating itself from the joint venture.
Last year YouView brought in 'Apprentice' star Alan Sugar, an acquaitance of Channel 5 owner Richard Desmond, as chairman in order to whip the project into shape by leveraging his set top box expertise.
The YouView service uses a web-connected set-top box to bundle linear and catch-up services.
A YouView spokesman said the joint venture has been "deliberately very quiet for the last few months" in order to concentrate on the launch and reveals that in the coming months an alpha trial will be rolled out to hundreds of people before a beta trial involving thousands of users.
The service is currently being trialled in a small number of homes.
Prior to joining Kelkoo Conway held senior marketing roles at Premier Inn, the BBC, Discovery Channel and Danone.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...