M&S launches recycling initiative fronted by Joanna Lumley
Marks & Spencer is launching a fashion initiative in partnership with Oxfam, fronted by Joanna Lumley, which is designed to encourage customers to recycle unwanted clothing.
Joanna Lumley: fronts drive to get M&S customers to recycle unwanted clothing.
The M&S Shwopping campaign forms part of the retailer's Plan A responsible business strategy.
M&S believes the campaign can help change customer buying habits and protect the environment.
Lumley will front a marketing campaign, including TV ads, along with serving as the retailer's global ethical and eco ambassador.
The Shwopping initiative is being launched today (26 April), in East London, with a stunt in which the historic Truman Brewery building is being completely covered in clothes to highlight the amount thrown into UK landfill every five minutes of every day.
There are approximately one billion garments thrown away every year in the UK.
M&S is now asking its customers to exchange any old or unwanted items of clothing – of any brand – when they buy a new garment, so it can be reused, recycled or resold to Oxfam.
The retail chain's ambition is to create a "buy-and-give-back" culture, where old clothes are seen as a valuable commodity, rather than throwaway items.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London