M&S launches recycling initiative fronted by Joanna Lumley
Marks & Spencer is launching a fashion initiative in partnership with Oxfam, fronted by Joanna Lumley, which is designed to encourage customers to recycle unwanted clothing.
Joanna Lumley: fronts drive to get M&S customers to recycle unwanted clothing.
The M&S Shwopping campaign forms part of the retailer's Plan A responsible business strategy.
M&S believes the campaign can help change customer buying habits and protect the environment.
Lumley will front a marketing campaign, including TV ads, along with serving as the retailer's global ethical and eco ambassador.
The Shwopping initiative is being launched today (26 April), in East London, with a stunt in which the historic Truman Brewery building is being completely covered in clothes to highlight the amount thrown into UK landfill every five minutes of every day.
There are approximately one billion garments thrown away every year in the UK.
M&S is now asking its customers to exchange any old or unwanted items of clothing – of any brand – when they buy a new garment, so it can be reused, recycled or resold to Oxfam.
The retail chain's ambition is to create a "buy-and-give-back" culture, where old clothes are seen as a valuable commodity, rather than throwaway items.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London