M&S launches recycling initiative fronted by Joanna Lumley
Marks & Spencer is launching a fashion initiative in partnership with Oxfam, fronted by Joanna Lumley, which is designed to encourage customers to recycle unwanted clothing.
Joanna Lumley: fronts drive to get M&S customers to recycle unwanted clothing.
The M&S Shwopping campaign forms part of the retailer's Plan A responsible business strategy.
M&S believes the campaign can help change customer buying habits and protect the environment.
Lumley will front a marketing campaign, including TV ads, along with serving as the retailer's global ethical and eco ambassador.
The Shwopping initiative is being launched today (26 April), in East London, with a stunt in which the historic Truman Brewery building is being completely covered in clothes to highlight the amount thrown into UK landfill every five minutes of every day.
There are approximately one billion garments thrown away every year in the UK.
M&S is now asking its customers to exchange any old or unwanted items of clothing – of any brand – when they buy a new garment, so it can be reused, recycled or resold to Oxfam.
The retail chain's ambition is to create a "buy-and-give-back" culture, where old clothes are seen as a valuable commodity, rather than throwaway items.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)