M&S launches recycling initiative fronted by Joanna Lumley
Marks & Spencer is launching a fashion initiative in partnership with Oxfam, fronted by Joanna Lumley, which is designed to encourage customers to recycle unwanted clothing.
Joanna Lumley: fronts drive to get M&S customers to recycle unwanted clothing.
The M&S Shwopping campaign forms part of the retailer's Plan A responsible business strategy.
M&S believes the campaign can help change customer buying habits and protect the environment.
Lumley will front a marketing campaign, including TV ads, along with serving as the retailer's global ethical and eco ambassador.
The Shwopping initiative is being launched today (26 April), in East London, with a stunt in which the historic Truman Brewery building is being completely covered in clothes to highlight the amount thrown into UK landfill every five minutes of every day.
There are approximately one billion garments thrown away every year in the UK.
M&S is now asking its customers to exchange any old or unwanted items of clothing – of any brand – when they buy a new garment, so it can be reused, recycled or resold to Oxfam.
The retail chain's ambition is to create a "buy-and-give-back" culture, where old clothes are seen as a valuable commodity, rather than throwaway items.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London