Spotify launches iPad app
Spotify, the online music provider, has launched its long-awaited iPad app, which has been designed to display high-definition cover artwork and make browsing through the service's catalogue of 18 million songs easier.
Spotify: makes its debut on the iPad
The app launched on iTunes yesterday (2 May) and is free to download for users with a Spotify Premium account.
The app's 'Now Playing' screen allows users to view cover artwork and search for playlists, other users and music, in the same window.
Social media integration is key to the new app, enabling users to discover trending playlists and songs among their friends, and share what they are listening to on social networks.
The launch on tablets is part of Spotify's plans to be on as many platforms as possible. A spokeswoman did not disclose whether an Android tablet app was on the horizon, but said the company was working on new apps all the time.
Spotify, which has three million subscribers and 10 million active users, currently has a service across all the major mobile operating systems, including Android, iOS, Symbian, BlackBerry and Windows Phone. It also has hardware integrations with devices including Sonos wireless stereos, Logtech Squeezebox and Virgin Media.
Although the app is ad-free, Spotify has stepped up the opportunities for brands on the service – first through the launch of apps and, more recently, with the launch of brand pages.
Spotify has also introduced a 'Play Button' that allows online publishers to offer the ability to play songs in Spotify on their website for free.
Spotify's iPad debut comes shortly after LinkedIn's similar move, which was also hotly anticipated.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire
- Marketing Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £50K-70K + Benefits Package, Central London