News Corp board expresses 'full confidence' in Rupert Murdoch
News Corporation board members have issued an "unanimous statement of support" for Rupert Murdoch, their embattled chief executive and chairman.
Rupert Murdoch: News Corp board backs their chief
The 81-year-old media mogul, under fire from some politicians and rival media owners for News International's newspaper practices in the UK, received the vote of confidence from all directors convened on an impromptu telephone call last night.
The ensuing statement read: "The board of directors of News Corporation met today and announced its full confidence in Rupert Murdoch's fitness and support for his continuing to lead News Corporation into the future as its chairman and CEO.
"The board based its vote of confidence on Rupert Murdoch's vision and leadership in building News Corporation, his ongoing performance as chairman and CEO, and his demonstrated resolve to address the mistakes of the company identified in the Select Committee's report."
The support follows Murdoch being declared "not fit" to have "stewardship of a major international company", by a group of MPs sitting on a Parliamentary Select Committee on Tuesday (1 May).
The MPs inflammatory statement came amid an ongoing investigation by regulator Ofcom about whether satellite broadcaster BSkyB was "fit and proper" to hold a broadcasting licence due to News Corp’s 39% stake.
Its inclusion in the Select Committee report forced four Conservative members, out of a group of 10 MPs, to withdraw support for its findings.
Follow Arif Durrani on Twitter @DurraniMix
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Qualitative Research Managers URGENT Stopgap £50000 per annum, London
- Account Manager, Integrated Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £28000 - £32000 per annum, London
- Publishing Communications Manager - Job-share,3 days a week Stopgap £30000 - £33000 per annum, London
- Mid level and Senior Digital Project Managers Zebra People £30000 - £50000 per annum + great benefits, East London
- Visual Merchandising Project Manager - Luxury CG Jarlett de Grouchy £35000 per annum + bonus + benefits, Wimbledon