APPC appoints Michael Burrell as chairman
APCO vice-chairman, public affairs, Europe Michael Burrell has been appointed as the APPC's chairman, who has stated his intention to continue to fight for in-house lobbyists' inclusion in a statutory register.
Michael Burrell: becomes the APPC's chairman
He replaces Helen Johnson as chair of the lobbying committee. His deputy is Cicero co-founder and chief corporate counsel Iain Anderson. Burrell was previously chair of the APPC in 1999.
Burrell told PRWeek: ‘I am honoured that colleagues are entrusting me with this role in a year that will be crucial for the future of public affairs consultancies, as the Government decides how to implement its pledge to introduce a statutory register of lobbyists.
‘We will continue to argue for a comprehensive register that includes law firms, management consultancies, trade associations, in-house practitioners, trade unions and charities.’
Burrell added that he has the impression that minister for political and constitutional reform Mark Harper ‘understands our argument and is half-persuaded’.
He added: ‘Seeking to achieve this level playing field for our members will be my top priority in the short term. Looking ahead, we will need to think carefully about how the APPC’s role would change when a statutory register is in place.’
Burrell joined APCO in 2011 and was previously worked at Edelman. Earlier in his career, he was MD of Westminster Strategy.
The APPC continues to support UKPAC’s register, despite the PRCA walking out on membership last December.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Freelancers - All Levels Source £110 - £300 per annum, London
- Account Manager, Integrated, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- SAM/Experienced AM, London, up to £38,000 Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £32000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Events / Production Manager (Gaming/Tech Clients) - Integrated Marketing Agency Rocket Recruitment £28,000-35,000, Central London