APPC appoints Michael Burrell as chairman
APCO vice-chairman, public affairs, Europe Michael Burrell has been appointed as the APPC's chairman, who has stated his intention to continue to fight for in-house lobbyists' inclusion in a statutory register.
Michael Burrell: becomes the APPC's chairman
He replaces Helen Johnson as chair of the lobbying committee. His deputy is Cicero co-founder and chief corporate counsel Iain Anderson. Burrell was previously chair of the APPC in 1999.
Burrell told PRWeek: ‘I am honoured that colleagues are entrusting me with this role in a year that will be crucial for the future of public affairs consultancies, as the Government decides how to implement its pledge to introduce a statutory register of lobbyists.
‘We will continue to argue for a comprehensive register that includes law firms, management consultancies, trade associations, in-house practitioners, trade unions and charities.’
Burrell added that he has the impression that minister for political and constitutional reform Mark Harper ‘understands our argument and is half-persuaded’.
He added: ‘Seeking to achieve this level playing field for our members will be my top priority in the short term. Looking ahead, we will need to think carefully about how the APPC’s role would change when a statutory register is in place.’
Burrell joined APCO in 2011 and was previously worked at Edelman. Earlier in his career, he was MD of Westminster Strategy.
The APPC continues to support UKPAC’s register, despite the PRCA walking out on membership last December.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...