Around 500 jobs at risk at bmibaby
Approximately 500 jobs are at risk at bmibaby, as the budget airline moves into a consultation with its employees and considers its options, which include possible closure of the airline.
Bmibaby: consulting with employees over options for airline's future
Peter Simpson, BMI interim managing director, said: "Bmibaby has delivered high levels of operational performance and customer services, but has continued to struggle financially, losing more than £100m in the last four years.
The possible closure of bmibaby follows the purchase of BMI by IAG, the owner of British Airways, from Lufthansa. The closure, should it go ahead, will be made in September. A consultation with trade unions has begun.
It is unclear how many marketing roles will be impacted by the job losses. BMI employs a total of 497 people in the UK. Included in this figure are 83 head office staff, who could include marketing roles, although BMI would not confirm this.
IAG has consistently stated that bmibaby and BMI Regional do not form part of its long-term plans and has announced that some bmibaby routes will be stopped from next month.
It is still open to offers for bmibaby, but has previously disclosed doubts that a buyer can be found.
The budget airline, based at East Midlands Airport, is losing around £25m a year.
BMI's mainstream operations are being integrated into BA and BMI said progress had been made with a potential buyer for BMI's regional arm, BMI Regional.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Mid Weight UX Designer Daniel Marks London 40k, Central London
- Senior UX Architect Daniel Marks London 65k, Central London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - Consumer Brands! Royds Raphael £35k-£40k / £150-£220+ day rate depending on experience, Central London
- Integrated Account Manager air recruitment Up to £30K dependent on experience, Central London
- Digital Intelligence Manager air recruitment Up to £50K dependent on experience, Central London
- Senior Planner (Brand Engagement) air recruitment Up to £70K dependent on experience, Central London