Around 500 jobs at risk at bmibaby
Approximately 500 jobs are at risk at bmibaby, as the budget airline moves into a consultation with its employees and considers its options, which include possible closure of the airline.
Bmibaby: consulting with employees over options for airline's future
Peter Simpson, BMI interim managing director, said: "Bmibaby has delivered high levels of operational performance and customer services, but has continued to struggle financially, losing more than £100m in the last four years.
The possible closure of bmibaby follows the purchase of BMI by IAG, the owner of British Airways, from Lufthansa. The closure, should it go ahead, will be made in September. A consultation with trade unions has begun.
It is unclear how many marketing roles will be impacted by the job losses. BMI employs a total of 497 people in the UK. Included in this figure are 83 head office staff, who could include marketing roles, although BMI would not confirm this.
IAG has consistently stated that bmibaby and BMI Regional do not form part of its long-term plans and has announced that some bmibaby routes will be stopped from next month.
It is still open to offers for bmibaby, but has previously disclosed doubts that a buyer can be found.
The budget airline, based at East Midlands Airport, is losing around £25m a year.
BMI's mainstream operations are being integrated into BA and BMI said progress had been made with a potential buyer for BMI's regional arm, BMI Regional.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...