Controversy surrounds Argentine Olympic ad
An ad to raise the profile of Argentine Olympian Fernando Zylberberg has been criticised for showing the athlete doing step-ups on a British war memorial.
Fernando Zylberberg: filmed doing step-ups on a British War Memorial
The ad was shot on the Falkland Islands and was reportedly created by Young & Rubicam, the WPP-owned agency .
It shows Zylberberg, a member of the Argentine hockey team, training at dawn. He is seen running through residential streets, past a British-style tavern, a red telephone box, across sandy beaches and doing step-up exercises on a British war memorial.
Launched across several channels at 10pm yesterday and released by the Argentine government on its official YouTube channel, the ad has attracted harsh criticism from the British Government and press.
The Argentine government, led by President Cristina Kirchner, has been accused of using the ad to push a political message. It includes the line, "To compete on English soil, we train on Argentine soil".
The islands, which are recognised as a self-governing British Overseas Territory, have been at the centre of rising tension between Argentina and Britain.
A study by the Poder Ciudadano Foundation, which is the Argentinean national chapter of Transparency International, reported an increase of 2,500% in spending on public advertising campaigns during the period 2003 to 2010.
The Argentine government is reported to have spent $1.225bn pesos (£190.1m) in 2010 on public advertising campaigns.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Ecommerce Trading Manager - Global Brand - London £40-45k plus bonus Sphere Digital 40 -45k + Bonus, London, South East
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...