RIM names new CMO to 'sharpen focus'
Research in Motion (RIM), the flagging Canadian maker of BlackBerry, has named Frank Boulben, vice-president of strategy, marketing and sales for US wireless company Lightsquared, as its chief marketing officer.
Frank Boulben: appointed chief marketing officer at RIM
BlackBerry has also hired Kristian Tear, executive vice-president of Sony Mobile Communications, as its new chief operating officer.
Thorsten Heins, president and chief executive officer of the ailing handset manufacturer, said the appointments would "sharpen our focus".
Prior to Lightsquared, Boulben was global director of commercial strategy for Vodafone Group and executive vice-president of brand and consumer marketing for Orange Group.
Boulben's major challenge will be to launch BlackBerry's long-awaited BlackBerry 10 operating system, which is crucial to the company's turnaround strategy.
Last week, RIM gave away 2,000 prototype devices running on the operating system to developers.
The appointments come after a tumultuous period at the company, with Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie, RIM's co-CEOs, stepping down from their roles in January, to be replaced by Heins.
In its most recent financial results, RIM reported a net loss of $125m (£78m) for the fourth quarter ended 3 March 2012, compared to a profit of $934m (£574m) for the same quarter the previous year.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...