McDonald's serves up 'one a day' fizzy drink for kids
McDonald's has developed Fruitizz, a fizzy drink aimed at kids that provides one of their five daily portions of fruit and vegetables and offers an alternative to soft drinks such as Coke and Fanta.
McDonald's: rolls out 'Frutizz' drink
The drink blends 60% fruit juice from grapes, apples and raspberries with natural sparkling water. It contains no added sugar, other than natural sugar from the fruit.
A 250ml serving contains 25 grams of sugar, which a McDonald’s spokeswoman claimed equated to approximately six teaspoons of sugar while a "similar-sized smoothie or a fresh juice would contain around seven teaspoons of sugar".
Fruitizz will be served from the central drinks tower containing the other fizzy drinks, which includes the Coca-Cola brands. Research has revealed children thought drinks poured from the towers were more exciting and desirable.
Jill McDonald, chief executive and president of McDonald’s UK, said: "For the past three years, we have been working hard behind the scenes to create a fizzy drink that is unlike anything else currently available in high street restaurants.
"We tried and tested 80 formulations in order to create the right product that delivers nutritional benefit as well as a new, exciting taste."
McDonald’s restaurants will serve the drink nationwide from next Wednesday (16 May). An "extensive" ad campaign by Leo Burnett, including TV, print and digital media starts on the same date.
McDonald's pointed out that Fruitizz, which it piloted last year in Wales, was the latest new product in a series of improvements that have been made to its menu over the last decade.
Fruitizz takes a place on the Happy Meal menu alongside carrot sticks, fruit bags, mineral water and organic semi-skimmed milk.
In January it emerged McDonalds is piloting a new style of re-designed "family friendly" restaurant, to better cater for children and for users of tablets and smartphones.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...