Diageo forced to apologise after BrewDog awards scandal
Diageo has been forced to apologise to BrewDog after the drinks giant was accused of using its influence to prevent the self-styled Scottish "punk brewer" from winning a drinks industry award.
BrewDog: angry blog picked up on Twitter
In a blog, BrewDog claimed that Diageo, a sponsor of the British Institute of Innkeeping award ceremony, had cheated Brewdog out of an award. According to the blog, BrewDog's name was engraved on the winner's trophy in the 'Bar Operator of the Year' category but the company was not announced as the winner.
It then went on to claim that Kenny Mitchell, chairman of the award committee, said that Diageo had said that "under no circumstances" could the award be given to BrewDog and threatened to pull its sponsorship from future events.
Using the hashtag #AndTheWinnerIsNot, Diageo and Brewdog’s complaint trended worldwide on Twitter.
Diageo’s apology, which was tweeted exclusively to @Marketinguk followers, said: "There was a serious misjudgement by Diageo staff at the awards dinner on Sunday evening in relation to the Bar Operator of the Year Award, which does not reflect in anyway Diageo’s corporate values and behaviour.
"We would like to apologise unreservedly to BrewDog and to the British Institute of Innkeeping for this error of judgement and we will be contacting both organisations imminently to express our regret for this unfortunate incident."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)