BBC retains Premier League highlights package
The BBC has retained the rights to broadcast the free-to-air Premier League highlights until the end of 2015/16 season.
Match of the Day: presenter Gary Lineker with fellow MOTD football pundits
The broadcaster has been awarded the rights for three seasons after it bid £179.7m, the Premier League said today (25 May).
The highlights package includes the Saturday evening 'Match of the Day' ('MOTD') programme, the Sunday morning repeat and 'MotD2' on Sunday evenings.
It is unclear which, if any, other broadcasters bid for the highlights package. The BBC flagship 'MOTD' show is presented by Gary Lineker. But ITV confirmed it did not bid for the highlights package.
Top-flight terrestrial broadcasting rights have switched between ITV and BBC since 1964, when the first 'Match Of The Day' was broadcast.
Premier League highlights screened on 'Match of the Day' have been broadcast by the BBC since the 2004-2005 season.
The retention of the rights for the BBC comes as the Premier League tenders its UK domestic live broadcast rights, currently held by BSkyB and ESPN, for the 2013/14 to 2015/16 seasons.
The football body is releasing the broadcast rights to a total of 154 matches – 16 more than the current deal.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Major Players £45000 - £55000 per annum, London