Times drops paywall for Jubilee weekend
The Times and The Sunday Times will throw their websites open and make The Sunday Times app available for a free trial this Saturday and Sunday (2 June and 3 June) to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
The Times: to offer free access to website over the Jubilee weekend
According to Times Newspapers, it is the first time the websites will offer free access since the paywall was erected in summer 2010.
It claims the move is intended to give a wider audience access to the content produced to celebrate the monarch's landmark 60th year on the throne.
Suzi Watford, marketing director, The Times and The Sunday Times, said: "To celebrate this historic occasion, we are opening up our award-winning websites so people can access the fantastic content on offer over the weekend and experience some of the many benefits of being a Times and Sunday Times subscriber."
There will also be a large-scale street-selling operation for the papers across London over the weekend.
Times Newspapers claims it is the culmination of a three-week editorial and marketing Jubilee campaign which included a 12-part collectible commemorative series charting the Queen's reign, posters, souvenir specials and a 30,000-ticket giveaway to the Battersea Park Jubilee Festival.
The company claims the latest figures for print and digital subscriptions to The Times and Sunday Times show a combined total of more than 290,000.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...