Times drops paywall for Jubilee weekend
The Times and The Sunday Times will throw their websites open and make The Sunday Times app available for a free trial this Saturday and Sunday (2 June and 3 June) to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
The Times: to offer free access to website over the Jubilee weekend
According to Times Newspapers, it is the first time the websites will offer free access since the paywall was erected in summer 2010.
It claims the move is intended to give a wider audience access to the content produced to celebrate the monarch's landmark 60th year on the throne.
Suzi Watford, marketing director, The Times and The Sunday Times, said: "To celebrate this historic occasion, we are opening up our award-winning websites so people can access the fantastic content on offer over the weekend and experience some of the many benefits of being a Times and Sunday Times subscriber."
There will also be a large-scale street-selling operation for the papers across London over the weekend.
Times Newspapers claims it is the culmination of a three-week editorial and marketing Jubilee campaign which included a 12-part collectible commemorative series charting the Queen's reign, posters, souvenir specials and a 30,000-ticket giveaway to the Battersea Park Jubilee Festival.
The company claims the latest figures for print and digital subscriptions to The Times and Sunday Times show a combined total of more than 290,000.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Account Director Prospect Resourcing Ltd up to £60k, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...